mgravell (64) [Avatar] Offline
off-topic: EFR : Complex<Complex><double>>
This comment not really for the author, but for any other readers who did, indeed, ponder...
Jon - other than observing that the footnote does prompt the reader to think (which is never a bad thing), note that this post neither critiques nor adds anything to the book, so feel free to "no-op".

> might want to consider what a Complex<Complex><double>> would mean.

I could be wrong, but to me it looks like a (non-Hamilton) hyper-complex quaternion defined by ii=jj=-1,kk=1,ij=k,ik=-j,jk=-i
Sadly, not much use in day-to-day use, but (for those inclined) a diversion ;-p

Now to go and find a life...
jon.skeet (448) [Avatar] Offline
Re: off-topic: EFR : Complex&lt;Complex&gt;&lt;double&gt;&gt;
I wouldn't like to promise that I *will* use this, but would you mind if I did? (With full credit, of course.)

I may be able to make use of it to lighten things somewhere, which is always a welcome opportunity.

Jon
I only meant it an an off the cuff comment... and I'd need to double-check my math, but I guess no real objection. I'm not quite sure how it could possibly lighten anything other than perhaps a party-political broadcast, though...

Marc
jon.skeet (448) [Avatar] Offline
> I only meant it an an off the cuff comment... and I'd
> need to double-check my math, but I guess no real
> objection.

If you do maths like that off the cuff, I'm scared. I mean, I'm a maths graduate from Cambridge, so it's not like I'm scared of number systems - but...

> I'm not quite sure how it could possibly
> lighten anything other than perhaps a party-political
> broadcast, though...

I'll have to see. I have a "feeling" for how it could work, but it's likely to come in during my next round of going through the whole book.

Jon
> you do maths like that off the cuff, I'm scared
The comment was off the cuff. The math took a little longer, hence no other comments this morning, as I didn't open the file... it has been 8 years since I last did any real maths, so it took a little time, and it is entirely possibly that I borked it - I need to check whether the multiplication is commutative, for instance. I *think* it is, but...

Marc