The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

mgravell (64) [Avatar] Offline
off-topic: EFR : Complex<Complex><double>>
This comment not really for the author, but for any other readers who did, indeed, ponder...
Jon - other than observing that the footnote does prompt the reader to think (which is never a bad thing), note that this post neither critiques nor adds anything to the book, so feel free to "no-op".

> might want to consider what a Complex<Complex><double>> would mean.

I could be wrong, but to me it looks like a (non-Hamilton) hyper-complex quaternion defined by ii=jj=-1,kk=1,ij=k,ik=-j,jk=-i
Sadly, not much use in day-to-day use, but (for those inclined) a diversion ;-p

Now to go and find a life...
jon.skeet (483) [Avatar] Offline
Re: off-topic: EFR : Complex&lt;Complex&gt;&lt;double&gt;&gt;
I wouldn't like to promise that I *will* use this, but would you mind if I did? (With full credit, of course.)

I may be able to make use of it to lighten things somewhere, which is always a welcome opportunity.

Jon
I only meant it an an off the cuff comment... and I'd need to double-check my math, but I guess no real objection. I'm not quite sure how it could possibly lighten anything other than perhaps a party-political broadcast, though...

Marc
jon.skeet (483) [Avatar] Offline
> I only meant it an an off the cuff comment... and I'd
> need to double-check my math, but I guess no real
> objection.

If you do maths like that off the cuff, I'm scared. I mean, I'm a maths graduate from Cambridge, so it's not like I'm scared of number systems - but...

> I'm not quite sure how it could possibly
> lighten anything other than perhaps a party-political
> broadcast, though...

I'll have to see. I have a "feeling" for how it could work, but it's likely to come in during my next round of going through the whole book.

Jon
> you do maths like that off the cuff, I'm scared
The comment was off the cuff. The math took a little longer, hence no other comments this morning, as I didn't open the file... it has been 8 years since I last did any real maths, so it took a little time, and it is entirely possibly that I borked it - I need to check whether the multiplication is commutative, for instance. I *think* it is, but...

Marc