FransBouma (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I'll read parts of the book during my Linq to LLBLGen Pro project, so I won't comment for now on other parts.

I've started with section 3.2: introducing sequences. (could the bookmarks section please include 3rd level links as well? smilie)
I saw: "To precisely understand what happens undercover"... I always thought 'undercover' was an operation practised by the police smilie

Moving on: 3.2.1: "The first thing you need to understand in 0...". The 0 isn't correct, it refers to 3.2.0 or better: 3.2 start section, but it shouldn't show 0.

I scrolled down abit to Iterators, and saw:
int[] OneToThree()
{
return new [] {1, 2, 3};
}

At first I thought, this is a typo, it should be OneTwoThree. But then it occured to me, that the name might be OK.

Please pick a proper name, a book should make the reader start thoughts and wonderings about the stuff taught, not about the way it is taught. smilie

The yield keyword is a pain for a lot of readers. Also, because VB.NET doesn't have an equivalent, it might be OK to have a VB snippet showing the same stuff.

I was browsing through the ToC and saw that most of the content is about using Linq providers, so I moved on to section 13.4 and 13.5.
- Some headings aren't outlined correctly: there's no space between section number and section title
- On page 447, I saw: "This piece of code should speak for itself!"
I had to laugh about this one, please for give me. smilie The exclamation mark make me picture Fabrice in front of a group of students with a baseball bat in his hands shouting "This code should speak of itself!" hehe smilie

Btw, seriously: saying that the code should speak of itself could be a bit challenging for the reader. The reader reads the book to understand things. If something is shown as an example, why not explain what it does? If that's left for the reader to understand, why do you explain iterators and IEnumerable(Of T) which is basic .NET knowledge?
FransBouma (2) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Some errors
More things:
page 426:
"LINQ to Entities
LINQ to Entities is implemented using the same technique as LINQ to SQL. The difference of course is that this time itÂ’s not SQL that gets generated but Entity SQL, which is what the ADO.NET Entity Framework supports. "
This isn't true. Linq to Entities is a parallel pipeline next to eSQL -> Sql.
fabrice.marguerie (224) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Frans,

Thank you for your comments and error report!
I've just taken them into account. To answer to some of them:

> could the bookmarks section please include 3rd level links as well? smilie)

This should be the case in the final release of the PDF. Manning doesn't usually go below the second level for the early PDFs.

> "The first thing you need to understand in 0..."

In the Word document, it's "The first thing you need to understand in Listing 3.1...".
We'll need to make sure this is correct in the generation of the final PDF and in the paper book!

> Some headings aren't outlined correctly: there's no space between section number and section title

This is a formatting problem that will hopefully be handled automatically during typesetting.

> The exclamation mark make me picture Fabrice in front of a group of students with a baseball bat in his hands shouting

That's it! I don't envision training in any other way smilie

Thanks,
Fabrice
jwooley (123) [Avatar] Offline
Frans,

Thanks for your comments on the book. I'm glad you are getting something out of it. I have been following your trials and tribulations on the LINQ to LLBLGen project and really appreciate the efforts you are going through to get it to work. Keep it up!

Jim