Agostino (4) [Avatar] Offline
I'm experiencing chapter 8 and I've created a document with an Helvetica Font.

Font fnt = new Font(Font.HELVETICA, 10);
Chunk cnk = new Chunk("Helvetica, 10", fnt);
doc.add(cnk);

But opening the properties in the Acrobat Reader (7.0) i get:
Type: Type1
Actual Font: ArialMT
Actual Font Type: TrueType

Why does it map Helvetica as ArialMT TrueType?
Thanks in advance

(S.O.: winxp, jvm 1.6.0, iText 2.0.1)
blowagie (284) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Type 1 font
Meanwhile you have probably read on and you probably found out that this is normal (see for instance figure 8.9). Please read the part about embedding fonts.
Agostino (4) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for you reply. It's so stimulating the possibility of talk with the author of a book you're studying. thanks.

I've read the embedding part but I am still a bit confused.

In the opening of the chapter you say:
... Helvetica offers some advantages because it's a so-called built-in font.
and at page 266:
... the standard Type 1 fonts, a set of 14 fonts that are required to be available in all PDF consumer applications.

I get quite confused about what is a built-in font and why should I embed something that should already be 'in' the reader application.
And why should I use Helvetica instead of Arial, while then it maps Helvetica as Arial, thus introducing discrepancies in the rendering of my document.

thanks in advance
blowagie (284) [Avatar] Offline
There has been a discussion about this on news://comp.text.pdf a while ago.
It's a known source of confusion.

Helvetica is still referred to as a 'so-called built-in font', but that terminology refers to the old days when the font was indeed built-in. I also write that it's better to talk about 'standard type 1 fonts' instead of 'built-in fonts'. These fonts are required to be available in all PDF consumer applications according to Adobe's PDF Reference manual; however Adobe judges that in its Adobe Reader application Helvetica can safely be replaced with Arial.

If you don't like that, don't blame me; I'm just telling you how it works.