The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Agostino (4) [Avatar] Offline
I'm experiencing chapter 8 and I've created a document with an Helvetica Font.

Font fnt = new Font(Font.HELVETICA, 10);
Chunk cnk = new Chunk("Helvetica, 10", fnt);
doc.add(cnk);

But opening the properties in the Acrobat Reader (7.0) i get:
Type: Type1
Actual Font: ArialMT
Actual Font Type: TrueType

Why does it map Helvetica as ArialMT TrueType?
Thanks in advance

(S.O.: winxp, jvm 1.6.0, iText 2.0.1)
blowagie (284) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Type 1 font
Meanwhile you have probably read on and you probably found out that this is normal (see for instance figure 8.9). Please read the part about embedding fonts.
Agostino (4) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for you reply. It's so stimulating the possibility of talk with the author of a book you're studying. thanks.

I've read the embedding part but I am still a bit confused.

In the opening of the chapter you say:
... Helvetica offers some advantages because it's a so-called built-in font.
and at page 266:
... the standard Type 1 fonts, a set of 14 fonts that are required to be available in all PDF consumer applications.

I get quite confused about what is a built-in font and why should I embed something that should already be 'in' the reader application.
And why should I use Helvetica instead of Arial, while then it maps Helvetica as Arial, thus introducing discrepancies in the rendering of my document.

thanks in advance
blowagie (284) [Avatar] Offline
There has been a discussion about this on news://comp.text.pdf a while ago.
It's a known source of confusion.

Helvetica is still referred to as a 'so-called built-in font', but that terminology refers to the old days when the font was indeed built-in. I also write that it's better to talk about 'standard type 1 fonts' instead of 'built-in fonts'. These fonts are required to be available in all PDF consumer applications according to Adobe's PDF Reference manual; however Adobe judges that in its Adobe Reader application Helvetica can safely be replaced with Arial.

If you don't like that, don't blame me; I'm just telling you how it works.