The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Cygnus (1) [Avatar] Offline
Does anyone have any insights into the future of C++/CLI? It seemed like there was a lot of buzz when it first came out, but now it seems like Microsoft is ignoring it and focusing on C#. I can't stand switching languages all the time and C# leaves some things to be desired, so it sure would be nice if there were more of a future for C++/CLI which I think should be made the preeminent language for .Net development.
Nish (16) [Avatar] Offline
Re: C++/CLI future
Hello Cygnus,

I honestly do not think that C++/CLI will ever be the #1 language for .NET - that will always be C# closely followed by VB.NET.

C++/CLI will continue to be the #1 language for mixed-mode programming and for interop scenarios.

As to switching between various languages, these days most developers will have to work on at least 2 different languages (usually more). Times have changed I guess.