redwards (2) [Avatar] Offline
I've really been enjoying the book and finding it very helpful. I suspect it will do very well.

My comment is maybe more about the MEAP thing than the book per se. On the whole, it is excellent. I like books that eventually are well edited, but in this context getting an early look is very worthwhile. The PDF format works OK for me, but the table of contents in the print copy is not very helpful. Especially in a new technology book like this I'm doing a lot of hunting for things I read, but need to see again. If the production tools supported generating a TOC with page numbers to H2 headings it would be great. Even if it can't provide page numbers, it would be helpful.

Thanks and best regards,
-red
fabrice.marguerie (224) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Book is excellent! TOC is not.
Richard,

Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad you are enjoying the book!

I agree with your comment regarding the TOC. What I can tell you is that the final copy of the PDF as well as the paper copy will have the level 2 headings, and maybe even level 3 headings, referenced in the TOC with page numbers.
Anyway, I'll forward your comment to the people in charge of the PDF, to make sure it's taken into account for the next release.

Fabrice
fabrice.marguerie (224) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Book is excellent! TOC is not.
I got in touch about the people who create the PDFs, and in fact, even if there is no page numbers in the ToC in the current release, you can use the PDF "Bookmarks" feature. Go to View | Navigation Tabs | Bookmarks or click on the Bookmarks tab to find it.

Fabrice