The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

cjansenson (2) [Avatar] Offline
Is the example in chapter 1 available for download? Thanks
davecrane (149) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Example in chapter 1 available for download?
Hi,

No, it isn't. We don't provide a back-end for the example, and it's designed only as a taster of various techniques that we provide in fuller detail elsewhere in the book (and with working examples).

Dave
cjansenson (2) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for the response. If the code is not available, may be you should remove the phrase

"LetÂ’s run through a few highlights of the code now. The complete code for the app is available for download at http:// www.manning.com/crane3."

This excerpt is in page 14 - section "1.4.1 Introducing the Ratings example", which you say is not available for download.

Cristian
wiz1 (3) [Avatar] Offline
I am disappointed this code has not been made available. The book does say that the code will be available at this website.

I was very much looking forward to reading this book, but it's not reassuring to have such an error in the first chapter when I'm just getting started... and the authors haven't seen fit to develop and post the code after the book has been out for several months.
bear.bibeault (675) [Avatar] Offline
You misunderstand. Dave said that the code for that particular example was not included in the download for the reason he stated. The code for the rest of the book is very much available.
I did not misunderstand.

This thread's subject is about the code in Chapter 1.

I am speaking on the code in Chapter 1. I know that the code for the other Chapters is available.

Page 14 (Chapter 1) states that the code for the App is available for download.
I see. I'll let Dave further expand on why he didn't include the code in question.
I really wanted to see this example in action and felt it would be great for my foundation before I tackled the rest of the book.

So I typed in the code from the book, and the updateRating.php script referenced on page 18, I set up a 3 line php script:

<?php <br /> echo 1;
?>

I set up an images folder and put in three different images for up.png, down.png and star.png.

It works like a charm and I can trace along the javascript running with FireBug. Instead of just reading what it does, I can now watch it run and see how the variables are affected.

C'mon guys...

Do the right thing and post the source. I'll give it to you if it'll help! smilie
Zip up the files and attach them to a post here.
johnknyc (2) [Avatar] Offline
Please post the source for this example!

If not, place an errata section on the book's main web page explaining the mistake in the book.

Cheers!
-John
jsbournival (4) [Avatar] Offline
clmarcio (1) [Avatar] Offline
Prototype and scriptaculous version from the jsbournival source code:

http://rapidshare.com/files/71111007/ratings.prototype.scriptaculous.zip
kinow (2) [Avatar] Offline
My message was a big mistake. Sorry guys. smilie

Message was edited by:
kinow
Actually, there are four author replies. What is it you are looking for besides what has been posted?
kinow (2) [Avatar] Offline
You're absolutely correct bear.bibeault. I apologize. Fixed that message, ok?
Cheers
davecrane (149) [Avatar] Offline
Hi all,

It's New Year, time to finally get that chapter 1 example code out. Until Manning get iot onto their site, it can be found here:

www.sunwheeltech.com/store/ch1_ratings_jan08.zip

The PHP script simply stores a value in session that will get updated when the user modifies the rating. Nothing fancy, and don't try to read too much into this example, but there it is.

Best,

Dave
capouch (10) [Avatar] Offline
I feel it necessary to note the negative effects that this oversight is bound to have on anyone who might choose this book to learn Prototype and Scriptaculous.

I am using it in a class, and you might imagine the chaos that ensued when I confidently told my students to go to the Manning website and download the code, only to find that it isn't there.

It took a week of googling to find this thread, and I wound up just abandoning the chapter, of course with the appropriate mutterings to my students about irresponsible publishers and authors.

It's a beginner's book, for God's sake, which has now been out for two years.

WHY ISN'T THE MANNING SITE FOR THE PAGE UPDATED?

My only answer, unfortunately, is that the authors and publishers in this case do not have their s**t together, and assume that somehow the reader--this book is pitched to beginners--will somehow mysteriously figure out on hisher own how to weave through the web until this forum thread is encountered.

It's pitiful.
SecondWIND (2) [Avatar] Offline
> From me to you ...
>
> http://js.jipiju.com/ratings.zip

Thanks, your creating and making the Chapter 1 code still reverberates down the corridors of time.
SecondWIND (2) [Avatar] Offline
> I feel it necessary to note the negative effects that
> this oversight is bound to have on anyone who might
> choose this book to learn Prototype and
> Scriptaculous.
>
> I am using it in a class, and you might imagine the
> chaos that ensued when I confidently told my students
> to go to the Manning website and download the code,
> only to find that it isn't there.
>
> It took a week of googling to find this thread, and I
> wound up just abandoning the chapter, of course with
> the appropriate mutterings to my students about
> irresponsible publishers and authors.
>
> It's a beginner's book, for God's sake, which has now
> been out for two years.
>
> WHY ISN'T THE MANNING SITE FOR THE PAGE UPDATED?
>
> My only answer, unfortunately, is that the authors
> and publishers in this case do not have their s**t
> together, and assume that somehow the reader--this
> book is pitched to beginners--will somehow
> mysteriously figure out on hisher own how to weave
> through the web until this forum thread is
> encountered.
>
> It's pitiful.

Almost two years after your post, the Chapter 1 code has not been added to the Manning web site. Does make one wonder???????