sasha (1) [Avatar] Offline
1. The statement "Laszlo requires a smaller development team" belongs in a brochure, not in a book. There are too many variables involve to make such a generic statement.

2. The statement "Laszlo doesn't lock users into a platicar platform" is not clear, if I develop in Laszlo am I locked into lzx code? I hope I am.....

3. The statement "almost identical code works in a PDA" doesn't sound right, the PDA size makes it necessary to come up with a different UI. I use a Treo and most web apps are hard to use. It would be useful to cover in the book how to adjust a Laszlo app to fit in a PDA and then you can make this kind of statements.

4. The statement "Laszlo (the company) has shifted to services" is incorrect. They are selling apps like LaszloMail and Webtop.
macewen (20) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Misc Comments re: Chapter 1
Thanks for the good comments. We've been trying to avoid PR-type assertions but it looks like we need to do some more review.
Glenn
nklein (33) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Misc Comments re: Chapter 1
Thank you for pointing out these loose statements. Each of your points are valid and I will ensure that they are either removed or the wording is tightened in subsequent revisions.

> 1. The statement "Laszlo requires a smaller
> development team" belongs in a brochure, not in a
> book. There are too many variables involve to make
> such a generic statement.

>
> 2. The statement "Laszlo doesn't lock users into a
> platicar platform" is not clear, if I develop in
> Laszlo am I locked into lzx code? I hope I am.....
>
> 3. The statement "almost identical code works in a
> PDA" doesn't sound right, the PDA size makes it
> necessary to come up with a different UI. I use a
> Treo and most web apps are hard to use. It would be
> useful to cover in the book how to adjust a Laszlo
> app to fit in a PDA and then you can make this kind
> of statements.

RIA development is a relatively new field encompassing many different disciplines: programming, design, system deployment, and many others. Since this is one of the first books in this area, we are attempting to "connect the dots" between disparate fields to hopefully provide the reader with the "big picture". I believe that in many instances, this subject matter is generally better served with riskier broad statements that might require later revision or additional substantiation, rather than attempting to play everything safe and close to the vest. So please bear with us, when we make these types of missteps, but also don't hesitate to call us out on these missteps,

Remember the pioneers can be identified by the arrows protruding from their backs.
>
> 4. The statement "Laszlo (the company) has shifted
> to services" is incorrect. They are selling apps
> like LaszloMail and Webtop.

Yes, this is true. Things move so fast in the industry that chapter 1 is already out-of-date before chapter 18 has even been completed.