The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

kbrede (3) [Avatar] Offline
On page 68 "-wnl" has two hypens. At least this is the case for the online PDF version.

perl –wnl -e '/Matthew/ and print $ARGV and close ARGV;' \r
> addresses.dat members
members

Incidentally I purchased the book and really like it so far. Not only am I learning about Perl, I'm learning a few things I didn't know about Linux smilie
Kent
tmaher (37) [Avatar] Offline
Re: page 68 errata
> On page 68 "-wnl" has two hypens. At least this is
> the case for the online PDF version.
>
> perl –wnl -e '/Matthew/ and print $ARGV and close
> ARGV;' \r
> > addresses.dat members
> members

Hmm... The hyphen-count looks correct to me in both the PDF and printed editions.
But I know from my own experience that PDF images can sometimes look a bit distorted,
because in some contexts the Acrobat "line-drawing engine" gets a little carried away.
Also, if you're "smearing pixels" by using, for example, 1024x768 resolution on an LCD
monitor with native resolution of 1280x1024, a single hyphen could easily get extended
a bit, and to different degrees at different screen positions.

I suspect that one of these factors accounts for your experience. But thanks anyway for your report! 8-}

> Incidentally I purchased the book and really like it
> so far. Not only am I learning about Perl, I'm
> learning a few things I didn't know about Linux smilie
> Kent

I'm delighted to hear that, because of course the whole point of writing
this particular book was to help people see the connections between Perl and UNIX/Linux,
and make the most of them! 8-}

-Tim
Interesting, I'm using 1280x1024. When I view the PDF in Evince and copy paste I get the following:

perl –wnl -e '/Matthew/ and print $ARGV and close ARGV;'
perl -wnl -e '/1/ and print $ARGV and close ARGV;'

As you can see the first line's hyphen is slightly longer, at least on my screen, and when I paste it to the command line I get not a "--" but just a very long hyphen.

When I paste from Xpdf, the first hyphen doesn't even show as you can see below, but it does paste correctly onto the command line. Go figure smilie

perl ­wnl -e '/Matthew/ and print $ARGV and close ARGV;'
perl -wnl -e '/1/ and print $ARGV and close ARGV

Not a big deal, there's a bug somewhere, but not enough to warrant hunting it down. I just thought I'd point it out.
Kent
What kicked this off was I got an error message after pasting the command:

kbrede:~$ perl –wnl -e '/Matthew/ and print $ARGV and close ARGV;' file
Can't open perl script "–wnl": No such file or directory

A double hypen actually reports this:

kbrede:~$ perl --wnl -e '/Matthew/ and print $ARGV and close ARGV;' file
Unrecognized switch: --wnl (-h will show valid options).

Anyway enough of all that.........
Kent