The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

JESS_Student (6) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I am new to JESS. In my jess program, I have to set an equation for generating an answer after inputting a random number.
Could you tell me how I can write random function command and equation command in JESS system please?

Best regards,
ejfried (326) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Could you tell me how I can set equation in JESS for generating answer
I'm afraid I don't really understand what you're looking for here. Do you know how to write functions in Jess? Do you know how to call Java methods (you could use the java.lang.Math.random() function, for example, or the java.util.Random class)? Have you looked at the Jess function list (http://www.jessrules.com/docs/70/functions.html) for useful functions to call?
Hi,

Thank you for your information about random function firstly.
I wrote an equation inside JESS program, but one of the unknown factors is x, another factor is y. I need to input a random number into x variable and then find out y.However, I don't know how to write a random function in JESS format and call it from JESS. Could you leave me your email in order for me to send you file, in which I wrote the source code in JESS format in clp file.

Best regards,
ejfried (326) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I watched the page you gave before. Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Hi,

I've forgot to ask you one more thing. Is it possible for your webpage of JESS to provide examples showing how to use the JESS functions please?

Best regards,