keithg (1) [Avatar] Offline
I noticed that some of the example programs in section 1.6.2 print out extra newlines after each line, thereby putting a blank line after each of the printed input lines.

Reading on to the table of invocation options in the next chapter, I see that the "-l" option chomps newlines from input, but only when used with the -n or -p option. So, I think the initial programs without -n or -p invocation options are reading in input lines with the newline intact and then appending an additional newline on the end of each line when printing it out.

By the way, I love this book so far. It's the most interesting language tutorial I've seen in a long time, and I have a fair collection from a brief stint at a book distribution center. Thanks for making it interesting.
tmaher (37) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Some example cat-like programs in section 1.6.2 functionally different
Keith,

Your analysis is correct; the output lines from the programs on p. 13 that have the -l option but not -n or -p have additional newlines added, giving a double-spacing effect. (I'm referring to the large program and the one-liner that follows it.) All the programs were tested extensively during the writing of the book, so I'm certain that the offending -l options weren't always there 8-{ . However, mistakes sometimes creep in during proofreading or copy editing. Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I'll update the errata list to specify removal of the unnecessary -l options.