The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

ArturK (1) [Avatar] Offline
I have recently bought the book and I have tried to open AWReporterWeb solution in Visual Studio 2005 according to the "Software Requirements" on the page xxix.

I was first surprised by the fact that the solution refers to ASP.NET 1.1 not to ASP.NET 2.0.

Secondly, I have found out, two pages later in the book, in the paragraph "Running the sample reports in Visual Studio .NET" that in order to use the source code I had to open the project in Visual Studio 2003 (Step 2 on page xxxi).

Finally, in Step 2 of "Deploying the reports to the Report Server" I have read about copying AWS.RS.Library.dll and OpenForecast.dll to Csmilierogram FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 8Common7IDEPrivate-Assemblies but Step 3 encourages me again to open AWReporter.rptproj project in Visual Studio .NET 2003.

Being an optimist I have opened the solution in VS 2005 and even accepted converting it to reefer to ASP.NET 2.0 but as a result I was welcome with numerous messages and warnings about obsolete features that had been used in the solution and that the Debugger could not be started and ...

Since I am not a very experienced in Visual Studio 2005 and Reporting Services (that is why I have bought the book) I hoped I would be able to use the source code step by step following the flow of the story in the book. Right now I am a little confused and I wander whether you could help me out by putting some order in my approach to using the source code and the book together.

Fortunately, the source code for WinForms seems to be fully upgraded but could you assure me that there are not any other hurdles?

Thanks in advance.

Artur
bretupdegraff (4) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Companion Source Code
Artur,
Thanks for you note.
I noticed the inconstancies within minutes of reading thru the final printed book (a bit too late)

All code was tested and developed for Visual Studio 2005 and asp.net 2.0.
The references in the begining for Code setup are typos and not correct.

I am looking into the obsolete features. These should not stop you from going thru the code. I am concerned that you cannot Debug the code... this may be a setup issue.

Please post any specifics that you encounter and I will help you thru these.

Thanks,