The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

import-bot (20211) [Avatar] Offline
[Originally posted 11/5/03 by Anonymous]

I found a problem in this book at chapter 2, I got an eBook edition. The method generatePagePrelude() in page 34 accepts only one parameter response but in the doPost() of Catalog servlet, it calls generatePagePrelude(response, "Catalog"). Again with ShowCart servlet and Confirmation servlet.

But this book is really useful! Thx!
Re: A problem I found in this book!

Anonymous -

You are absolutely correct! This represents the hazards of different code revisions during the review process. The correct version should always take both parameters.

I'm adding it as the first item on the book's Errata list. Thanks for pointing it out.

Glad you are enjoying the book so far.

jNf [dsw]

I'm again and another problem with this book again.

In chapter 3 Creating custom JSP tags, while you explain how to creating htmlSqlResult tag, at page 73, you used addDbPoolToApplication tag, not htmlSqlResult tag.

<emotherearth:addDbPoolToApplication initUser="user" >
initPassword="password" initUrl="dbUrl"
initDriverClass="driverClass" />

Pls check it! smilie
[Originally posted 11/7/03 by Anonymous]

And another serious problem in chapter 3, Creating custom JSP tags, I don't see how to read values of htmlSqlResult tag's attributes from JSP page.

Check it more!
[Originally posted 11/7/03 by nford]

RE: message posted on Nov 7th at 1:17

Again, you are correct. The tag embedded in the text shows the old tag, and that is an error. However, Listing 3.8, which immediately follows it, shows the correct placement of the tag.

RE: message posted on Nov 7th at 1:45
The code you are missing appears in listing 3.4:
DbPool dbPool = (DbPool)  
    pageContext.getServletContext().
    getAttribute(this.dbPool);

This code retrieves the dbPool attribute. The others are set via the mutators that appear in the tag.

I apologize for the several errors in this chapter. They managed to elude both myself and several technical editors. However, this chapter was added late in the process, and didn't receive as much attention as it deserved. I think you'll find the subsequent chapters contain fewer errors. I hope that these few organization oversites isn't diminishing the technical content and message of the book.

jNf [dsw]
[Originally posted 11/7/03 by Anonymous]

I downloaded the code from the website and tried to use ant instead of JBuilder to compile the code and recieved: /build.xml:66: srcdir "/export/home/jm1468/java/manning/art_emother_servlet/${Generated.Sour ce}" does not exist! I've tried this on unix and on Windows and got the same message. I'm new to all of this but the instructions in the Readme.html included with the code said just to run ant with no parms. This was a problem in the art_emother_servlet directory but the other 3 dirs from part1 worked when I used ant.