The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

steven so (3) [Avatar] Offline
I have searched the database and found nothing quite like I am experiencing with the planets example. In Safari I get and error like this: error fetching data! readyState:4 status: undefined headers: undefined. In IE I just get one box purple box. In firefox it works perfectly. I loved playing with this example until I found it only worked in firefox. The error message sounds very clear but I still can't fix it.

Please help!
mrobinson (15) [Avatar] Offline
Re: planents example not working out of the box
Same experience here. Planets example works fine in Firefox but not in IE 6.
I keep hoping someone will write in and explain what it is that needs to be done to make this example work in ie and safari. Someone else having the same experience makes me feel less alone but doesn't move me any closer to being able to functionally use ajax. I keep reading and re-reading the first couple of chapters (2-5) in this book. I think the problem has to do with the XMLHttpRequest object and chapter 2 has and example that seems useful in unraveling what is wrong with the planets example.
This book is a joy to read and even though I haven't gotten past chapter 5 I really have learned a lot and my approach to web development has really changed in preparation for a shift to ajax.
Pascarello (208) [Avatar] Offline
Chapter 5

Planets Example

planets.js: line number 75 change "this.img" for "this.image".

planet.js: line 62 Delete trailing (extra) comma
Thank you for your clear directions. I had found those corrections and made them. It works better in Firefox with these corrections. I can see the planets on the menu instead of just text. By the way by my count the line is 79 and not 75. Those corrections don't seem to make any difference in Safari I still get the error and one blue box. I am using 3.9, the Tiger version may work without a hitch but I wouldn't know. I could upgrade but I still wouldn't think a solution that cut out all the people using 3.9 would be very practical.