The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

bbradley (5) [Avatar] Offline
I'm able to use the static text suggest, and I'm able to use it with a static file I generate. But I attempt to send it a dynamic page that I've called buildXml.cfm and it generates the following text which looks correct to me:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<ajax-response>
<response type='object' id='field1_updater'>
<matches>
<entry><text>Val A</text><value>8189</value></entry>
<entry><text>Val B</text><value>101552</value></entry>
</matches>
</response>
</ajax-response>

But I'm getting a javascript error:
request.responseXML has no properties
rico.js line 437

any ideas how I can get this to work with CF?
Pascarello (208) [Avatar] Offline
Re: TextSuggest and Coldfusion
Are you setting the content type of the page

I have not worked with CF in a LONG time but it should be something like this <cfcontent type="text/xml; charset=UTF-8">

Now if you are doing that and it does not work, call the dynamic xml document driectly in the browser. That will show you if your markup has issues. Sometimes it can be that there is an unescaped character in the response that screws it up. IE is good at pointing to such problems.

Eric

Message was edited by:
Pascarello
I was not, I didn't realize I had to use that, I was just adding the line myself in the code. So now it works, but its not grabing the data I'm typing in.

I'm looking for form.where, form.query and form.id, doesnt seem to be passing them though, its using my default values set in cfparam. Are they not being submitted as form variables? Or do I have the wrong names? I also tried url.where, etc just in case they were being passed that way.

Thanks for the speedy response.
Pascarello (208) [Avatar] Offline
Do yourself a favor,

download firefox (if you do not have it already) install the extension Firebug. Under the options of Firebug it allows you to view the XMLHttpRequest being sent to the server. That will show you what is being sent.

Eric
I use Firefox, never heard of Firebug, I just installed it and what an amazing tool! I'm all set now, thanks a lot.

-Bill