The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

matNYC (3) [Avatar] Offline
hi,

I copied the downloaded the code for the double combo and can't get it to work. I can't seem to return any form of response from this.req.responseXML.documentElement.

i tried this.req.responseText and i still get nothing (null).

any ideas?
Pascarello (208) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Double combo: re.reponseXML problem
Is it getting to the server if you put debugging statements in it? If you call the serverside page directly do you get any data?

Download Firefox and install Firebug (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1843/)

In the firebug extension there is options. Make it show the XMLHttpRequest Object (think it is the last one in the list) That will show you the request happening.

Eric
matNYC (3) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Double combo: re.reponseXML problem
thanks (and great book by the way)

turns out this was a database issue. i'm pulling data from a different database than northwind, and some of it contained a forward slash which i guess messes things up in the parsing of the xml data smilie