The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

sachinladdha (24) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I have installed my reports on MSRS 2005. One of my report has drill through reports. when I click on drillthrough report, it gives me following error
--------
The path of the item "(null)" is not valid. The path must be less than 260 characters long and must start with slash. Other restrictions apply. (rsInvalidItemPath)
----------

These reports are working fine on MSRS 2000 + SP1. What could be the reason?

Is there anything special need to be done for drillthrough reports to work on MSRS 2005.

Following log is generated in ReportServer log file
----------
w3wp!webserver!c!08/09/2006-17:42:09:: i INFO: Processed report. Report='/Test/en-US/Operation Reports/Vault Store Usage by Archive Name Report', Stream=''
w3wp!library!1!08/09/2006-17:42:24:: i INFO: Call to GetPermissions:/Test/en-US/Operation Reports/Vault Store Usage by Archive Name Report
w3wp!library!1!08/09/2006-17:42:24:: i INFO: Call to GetSystemPermissions
w3wp!library!1!08/09/2006-17:42:25:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.InvalidItemPathException: The path of the item "(null)" is not valid. The path must be less than 260 characters long and must start with slash. Other restrictions apply., ;
Info: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.InvalidItemPathException: The path of the item "(null)" is not valid. The path must be less than 260 characters long and must start with slash. Other restrictions apply.
----------------
Please help

regards,
Sachin
sachinladdha (24) [Avatar] Offline
Re: drillthrough reports are failing on MSRS 2005
Hi,

It seems MSRS 2005 doesn't allow drillthrough report links (navigations) from report page header. By Putting those links in report body everything started working fine smilie

regards,
sAchin.
Christopher_N (1) [Avatar] Offline
Re: drillthrough reports are failing on MSRS 2005
Hello,

We use drillthrough report links WITHIN our report body (not in the header), and we get the error only under this circumstance:

when testing with the debugger in Visual Studio 2005 (VS2005).

The production Microsoft Reporting Services 2005 (MSRS 2005) DOES NOT get this error at all.

Can someone explain Why does testing our web application with the Visual Studio 2005 debugger cause this error?

Environment: We have the latest Service Pack 1 for VS2005 (Version 8.0.50727.762) on a XP development system, developing a simple ASP.NET (Framework 2.0) web app using VB. The prod. server has Win 2003, db is SQL Server 2005, and with the latest Service Pack 1 for the MSRS 2005 Redistributable.

Thanks, Christopher