essie_1976 (1) [Avatar] Offline
i just bought this book Windows Forms in Action, from a bookshop and i want to ask if i can use visual c# express edition 2005, the free downloadable from microsoft, with this book. is this free edition is enough to work with the examples in the book.
pls i need help cuz im really new to this subject
eebrown (89) [Avatar] Offline
Re: is visual C# express edition to work with this book ?
Yes, absolutely. This was written using the $$$ version, but our technical reviewer went through the text with the free version for just this purpose. There are comments in the text where you might find differences with the Express version, but most of the text works fine in either version.

Enjoy,

Erik
Ripper (7) [Avatar] Offline
If I can just intervene for a while to suggest another IDE, that I personally like more than VS 2005. It is open source and is freely downloadable at :

http://www.sharpdevelop.net/OpenSource/SD/Download/

As far as I can tell it can do nearly everything that VS 2005 can, so you just need to try it and see if it is the right choise for you.

Sincerely,
Nikolay
eebrown (89) [Avatar] Offline
Yes, indeed, other IDE's are available and can be used to create the application in the book. I have not tried SharpDevelop personally, but as Nicolay says it is another option.

Windows Forms in Action was tested with Visual Studio and Visual C# Express, so the discussion and figures are oriented around the Microsoft IDE's. You might have some problems with another IDE, but if you are comfortable figuring out such things for yourself you should be fine. Some of the Visual C# comments indicated how to create things outside of the IDE entirely, and I imagine these might be appropriate for another IDE as well.

My recommendation would be to stick with a Microsoft IDE, since the book is focused on this as well. If you go through the book and feel comfortable with Windows Forms, that would be the time to re-read the text with an alternate IDE. This approach ensures you don't get hung up with Windows Forms issues while using a new environment.

Good luck,

Erik