The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

sachinladdha (24) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Teo,

We need to support MSRS 2005 on very short period of time and any help will be appreciated.

Few queries -
1. what does it take to deploy reports on MSRS 2000 and MSRS 2005.
2. Any modifications required to RDL files or custom data extensions?

I have written a utility which deploys reports on report server 2000 by adding referece to a report web service. Can I use same utility to deploy reports on 2005

regards,
Sachin
tlachev (687) [Avatar] Offline
Re: MSRS 2005 backward compatibility
1. The RS 2000 utility should still work since the RS 2000 end point is maintained for backward competability.
2. Yes. For RDL, the easiest way is to open the report project in VS.NET. The conversion wizard will take care of upgrading the report definitions to the RS 2005 schema. For CDE extension, you need to reference the new binaries. This article shows how (http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/31336/0).
Hi Teo,

I tried to deploy RS 2000 reports and CDE on RS 2005 and it worked well.
I havent recompiled my binaries and haven't converted RDLs in 2005 format.

Is it ok, if I put my RDL and binaries as it is on RS 2005.
Do you foresee any problem in this.

Please help,
regards,
Sachin
The definitions are upgraded automatically upon deploy (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143674.aspx). I am suprised that the CDE works without recompilation.
Hi Teo,

I checked on MSRS 2005 machine. .Net framework 1.1.4322 is installed there.
Could this be the reason for CDE to work without recompilation.

This is becoming a issue now for us. We need to support both RS 2000 and RS 2005. If binaries are to be recompiled for RS 2005 then we need to maintain 2 projects in our source code. We need to decide on this ASAP.

Please help
regards,
Sachin
Hi Teo,

One more question - Why CDE need to be recompiled for RS 2005 support. We are not using any extra interface provided by RS 2005.

regards,
Sachin.
Because Microsoft.ReportingServices.Interfaces has changed.