The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

vladimir (1) [Avatar] Offline
mvn install => BUILD FAILURES
Chris, in advance I’m sorry for my bad English and the critic which you can find too sever and not clear enough.
I have exactly the same problem as Elvin Hau: mvn install => BUILD FAILURE. Personally I find this situation extremely blocking. I am also new to Maven as well as to JMock, Hibernate, JDO and Spring (but nor to iBatis neither to DAO…).
Regarding the choice of Maven and the manner to refer to the sample application “Food to Go” I have some concern with it. Actually, after reading chapters 1 – 3 I continued with building the standalone project “Chapter 3 = Domain model” and I experienced another BUILD FAILURE (I am not sure that it is possible to build the project of chapter 3 alone = standalone project) and only then I tried to build the top-level project which (also) failed.
I don’t know if the problem with Chapter 3 standalone is the same as with the building the top-level project or it’s just because of the existence of some non explicit dependencies ?

So presently I have potential problems with:
Maven
An obligation to build the whole project.

I find this problematic very “heavyweight” in a total contradiction with the main subject and philosophy of the book.
What I want obviously is to have rapidly an example of running application (at the level of ch.3) and be able to browse its sources, debug, play with it, compare it with stanza of the book’s code etc. But not at the price of studying yet another framework (Maven). Better. I want to be able to apply TDD to implement the domain model of ch3 and not just to see a definitive version obtained as a result of some mysterious maven-build.

Ok, I accept to study JMock during the study of the “Domain-models” application from chapter 3.
But Maven, Maven-generation of projects in Eclipse, and (in some extent) the study of the final version of the existing application represents for me a “plumbing” activity. I accept to study JMock because it is natural in the context of the book. But not Maven! It nothing to do at all here! It does but complicates the overall picture . The last is very amazing if your intention were to truly promote the lightweight approach and battle against unjustified complexity.
I am really very disappointed because I planned to study your book very seriously and as of now I don’t know what to do and whether I can continue with it.
Try to imagine typical profiles of your readers! Regarding me for example, I can’t devote all my time to reading it and working with its examples. So with all these maven’s intricacies I need to manage the whole process of studying your book which is equivalent to writing the plumbing code (if we compare a study of a framework with a writing of application code).

And finally last but not least remark. I think it’s worth to try to integrate all the examples (under form of a sequence of the consecutives mini-iterations) manually in Eclipse. It will promote the incremental and iterative approach and obviously will be much more productive from the pedagogical point of view. At the same time, in my opinion, it will not be much more costly. It would be enough to find an appropriate common presentation format for all intermediate iterations. After all, once you explain how to debug Maven or whatever else and once I can run the code of chapter 3, I’ll demand you to explain how one can proceed to come to it. In other words, I’ll demand you to prove that your definitive version is obtained applying 100% TDD approach and not I don’t know what mixture of a bit of TDD and a lot of obscure hooks and workarounds. I want to be able to write myself the definitive version of the application .
Do you remind of your proper Einstein’s citation regarding the complexity ?
Excuse me if a missed something that makes my questions irrelevant.
Best regards, Vladimir.
ceracm (113) [Avatar] Offline
Re: mvn install => BUILD FAILURES
Vladmir,

Please see the post in the other thread that describes how to fix the maven error.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't like maven. Unfortunately, building source code that uses multiple open-source frameworks isn't exactly a "lightweight" undertaking.

Despite that building the source code with maven has been until recently a fairly straightforward process - it takes get of downloading the dependent jars etc. It avoids (a) you having to down the jars manually (b) you having to download a multimegabyte jar file from manning.

Your final remark is interesting. Let me think about that some more.

Chris