The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

sachinladdha (24) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I have written a custom data extension (CDE).
Can I use MSRS tracing mechanism to trace error messages from my CDE?
If yes, which MSRS classes to be used and how?

any help is appreciated.
regards,
Sachin.
tlachev (687) [Avatar] Offline
Re: How to use MSRS(2000) tracing mechanism in custom data extension
You can use System.Diagnostic.Trace.
Hi,

At present I using Trace() method only.
Is it not possible to use MSRS tracing mechanism which writes the traces to a log file.
It would really help if I can log my traces into the same file. It a must for me as all of my reports are going through custom CDE and if anything goes wrong in the field (for on-demand or scheduled reports), the log file will be of great help.

any help is appreciated.
regards,
Sachin.
tlachev (687) [Avatar] Offline
It is currently not possible to use the RS tracing mechahism.
tiwaridinesh22 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi sachin......
This my first mail on this group......
Actually i have a problem..........I have created a custom data proceesing extension......ie sample File system data processing extension..........
it is created and showing me in combobox while creating the reports...........
But when i am trying to select it...............it is selecting but asking for connection string...........
i have tried different things with that but it is showing error that connection can not be made..........please set and test the connection..............

So please help me what to write in connection string box

I am using microsoft reporting services 2000. and my sql data base has windows authentication security...............
I am new on this technology...................
So please help me...............
And if possible plese mail me on
tiwaridinesh22@yahoo.com

Regards
Dinesh Tiwari
Check if report config file has entry for your custom data processing extension and all the dependant assemblies are copied into the <bin> folder