The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

birinhos (8) [Avatar] Offline
hello,

Im want to know if it is realy possible, if Java3D API as realy working methods, to :
given a ray ( point and direction), find the exact point of intersection on the 3D world.

I have seen the mouse clic example and it seems possible ... but there are tecniques that work well for a mouse ray (like the implementation in GLU that does not calculate interceptions, it makes a special render and then see what object the clic pixel beelong...) that can not be aplied to a generic "ray" ...

All indicates that defining a pickray in Java3D it works to find the object but I dont want the object I want the exact point(x,y,z) of interception and I have read somewhere that is not possible(java 3D doesnt make it)... is it true ?

All the examples I have seen are working with mouse ray clic...
Can any one show-me an example with a generic "ray".

Cumprimentos

birinhos
dselman (104) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Intersections -- Trying to build an movie projector in Java 3D
As far as I know it is possible, but the geometry your ray intersects with must have the ALLOW_INTERSECT capability set to find within the geometry the intersection point.

http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/3D/forDevelopers/J3D_1_3_API/j3dapi/javax/media/j3d/Shape3D.html#intersect(javax.media.j3d.SceneGraphPath,%20javax.media.j3d.PickRay,%20double[])

Dan
birinhos (8) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Intersections -- Trying to build an movie projector in Java 3D
Tanks Daniel ! (I have your book…)

One example would be great.. Im planning my work on that, but I have been busy with other Java things smilie…

Rui