Functional Programming in Java: How functional techniques improve your Java programs cover
welcome to this free extract from
an online version of the Manning book.
to read more
or

About this Book

This isn’t a book about Java. This book is about functional programming, which is a different way to write software programs. “Different” means different from the “traditional” way of writing software, which is called the imperative paradigm. This book is about applying the functional paradigm to Java programming.

There’s no such thing as a “functional language.” There are only languages that are more-or-less functional-friendly. Although I use Java in this book, you can apply all the principles I teach to any other language. Only the way in which you implement these principles would be different. You can write functional programs in any language, even those said not to be functional at all; you can similarly write imperative programs with the most functional-friendly languages.

With the release of Java 8, some functional features have been added to the Java language. But just as this book isn’t about Java, it’s also not about these specific Java 8 features. In this book, I make heavy use of some of these features, and I mostly ignore others. If your goal is to learn how to use the functional features of Java 8, this is not the right book. Urma, Fusco, and Mycroft’s Java 8 in Action (Manning, 2014) would be a much better choice.

Audience

How to use this book

Setting expectations

Author Online

sitemap