C# in Depth cover
welcome to this free extract from
an online version of the Manning book.
to read more
or

About this Book

This is a book about C# from version 2 onward—it’s as simple as that. I barely cover C# 1 and only cover the .NET Framework libraries and Common Language Runtime (CLR) when they’re related to the language. This is a deliberate decision, and the result is a book quite different from most of the C# and .NET books I’ve seen.

By assuming a reasonable amount of knowledge of C# 1, I avoid spending hundreds of pages covering material that I think most people already understand. This gives me room to expand on the details of later versions of C#, which is what I hope you’re reading the book for. When I wrote the first edition of this book, even C# 2 was relatively unknown to some readers. By now, almost all C# developers have some experience with the features introduced in C# 2, but I’ve still kept that material in this edition, as it’s so fundamental to what comes later.

Who should read this book?

This book is squarely aimed at developers who already know some C#. For absolute maximum value, you’d know C# 1 well but know very little about later versions. There aren’t many readers in that sweet spot any more, but I believe there are still lots of developers who can benefit from digging deeper into C# 2 and 3, even if they’ve already been using them for a while...and many developers haven’t yet used C# 4 or 5 to any extent.

Roadmap

Terminology, typography, and downloads

Author Online and the C# in Depth website

sitemap