C# in Depth, Second Edition cover
welcome to this free extract from
an online version of the Manning book.
to read more
or

About this Book

This is a book about C# from version 2 onwards—it’s as simple as that. I barely cover C# 1, and only cover the .NET Framework libraries and Common Language Runtime (CLR) when they’re related to the language. This is a deliberate decision, and the result is quite a different book from most of the C# and .NET books I’ve seen.

By assuming a reasonable amount of knowledge of C# 1, I avoid spending hundreds of pages covering material that I think most people already understand. This gives me much more room to expand on the details of C# 2, 3, and 4, which is what I hope you’re reading the book for.

I believe that many developers would be less frustrated with their work if they had a deeper connection with the language they’re writing in. I know it sounds geeky in the extreme to talk about having a “relationship” with a programming language, but that’s the best way I can describe it. This book is my attempt to help you achieve that sort of understanding, or deepen it further. It won’t be enough on its own—it should be a companion to your coding, guiding you and suggesting some interesting avenues to explore, as well as explaining why your code behaves the way it does.

Who should read this book?

Roadmap

Terminology and typography

Source code downloads

Author Online and the C# in Depth website

About the author

About the cover illustration

sitemap